I posed the survey question on my web site about Gun Regulations: Based on recent gun violence in the news, would you support more state or federal gun regulations?
Here are results to this survey:
These are the "Other" Responses:
- Security is needed at every school, no new gun regulations are needed though.
- Just enforce the laws on the books now, no more regulations are needed.
- requiring more guns would go further
- Utah CFP training to be more extensive. At least 8 hours + in person gun training
- Not only no more regulations, but legislation protecting the 2nd amendment 4ever
- Work on making sure that current gun regulations are appropriately enforced
- The problem lies with society and values, not gun control.
- This needs to be talked about, but not until 2013. Let us morn.
These are the email responses that I have received. These comments have not been added to the survey results:
- No! We need more guns. If everyone had a gun these sick people wouldn't be nearly so brazen.
- NO, WE DON'T NEED ANY REGULATIONS--because only good, decent people follow regulations. The bad guys never follow regulations. What we need is more good people--like teachers, principles, home owners, store and bank employes--to carry their guns to protect themselves and the innocent. What we need is more education on how to buy and use guns. The bad/deranged perpetrators will always find the weapons they need (guns, knives, chemicals, bombs) to carry out their evil designs. The good guys need to get tougher and arm themselves in defense.
- We need to ban violent video games, not guns. How ,many hours a day does the average boy over six play video games where you shoot everyone you see on the TV screen. What is the point of this training? Also ban cars, as more people are killed by cars every year than any one other way.
- I couldn't find your survey. So here is my answer. Get the assault rifles and semiautomatic guns out of the hands of the citizens. I'm not a gun advocate except for hunting, and people can hunt with the old style guns.
- No. Places where people have guns have less violent crime. England has a much higher violent crime rate than we do, and they do not have guns.
This latest incident has turned into a political discussion, and it should not be. I am tired of the government grabbing more power and money to "keep us safe". In most cases new regulation makes things worse. Criminals will do what they can regardless of any regulation or law. We should punish those who are guilty, and stop regulating those who are not.
You cannot regulate anyone into being a good person.
Let those mourning heal, and than let us look into the cause and stop worrying about the weapon. This seems obvious to my wife and I.
We have plenty of gun regulations. Leave it alone already. How can you regulate insanity? That is the issue.
People go after the wrong solution. Please don't get trapped by the "Band Wagon" press Dave.
- No. In general, we need less regulation.
Gun-free zones are a target for evil.
It's also no-one's business what type of firearm I choose to protect myself with.
- HELL NO!
we need more trained and armed citizens. the govt can't solve this problem, other than make it easier for good folks to be armed and trained.
And and additional comment from Brandon Watters, EM05 Precinct Chair: